Recent Fire Damage Posts
Most Common House Fire Causes
Most Common Home Fires
Tragic fires have no bounds, they spread quickly and give no mind to your personal items and documents. As a top restoration company SERVPRO of Arcadia will be there to help restore your home and structure as if it never even happened. In extreme cases, we even do our best to restore some of your most important documents back to normal! In any case, no one enjoys their home catching fire so let's go over the most common causes so you can avoid any tragedies.
Here are the Top 5 Causes of Fires:
- Cigarettes - The reason this is at the top of the list is because it can be tragic for the person smoking. Most times it is because a person fell asleep with one in their hand. Sometimes a smoker may throw a lit cigarette into dry plants.
- Cooking - Accidents happen all the time in the kitchen, a towel may catch fire, you may over cook your food, water and oil may mix and cause large fires, and even cooking in the oven and forgetting the oven on.
- Candles - Dropping one near flammable items or lighting one near towels and plants.
- Space Heaters - Leaving these unattended can be detrimental depending on the flooring in your home.
- Electrical Fires - Get your wiring checked once a year to check for shorts and faults. Sometimes these fires can cause huge damages and the start quickly because they are almost hidden.
Keep your home safe during the holidays!
With Christmas only days away SERVPRO of Arcadia would like to share some tips to keep your home safe from any possible fire damages.
Your Christmas tree is the biggest factor to be aware of during this season, more so if you plan to have your tree up longer than a month.
- Make sure to always keep your Christmas tree watered and spray the leaves as well; tree fires most commonly occur when the tree is too dry.
- Keep your tree places away from all flames such as fireplaces, stoves, and space heaters.
- Be sure to keep candles away from your tree at all times.
- Try not to use more than 3 stands of holiday lights in order not to over load the outlets.
As always, SERVPRO of Arcadia is open 24/7 even on Christmas to help in the unfortunate event of fires, water damages and more. Call (626)447-4128 for any questions or assistance.
Facing a Fire
When facing a fire in your home it can be stressful or even scary to say the least. In fact, it is very important to get started on the clean up so that your home can still be put right back together!
When we say begin the clean up we don't mean go out and get a mop and cleaning supplies! This type of clean up calls for professionals who specialize in fire restorations.
Our SERVPRO teams are highly trained in fire restoration and will take care of everything necessary. Please, do not take matters into your own hands and try to start the clean up on your own. You can actually cause more damage by cleaning on your own. Not to worry, SERVPRO will make it as if It never even happened!
Halloween Fire Safety
Safe ways to keep it spooky on Halloween!
Carving pumpkins with the family, children trick-or-treating, dressing up in festive costumes are all the best parts of celebrating Halloween! BE WARE of possible fire hazards from these fun but dangerous festivities.
Here are some tips to keep your home safe this year:
- Swap out the old fashioned fire candle to light up your Jack-O-Lantern with battery powered candles or glow sticks
- If you do end up using fire candles please keep them away from any drought tolerant pants or fires.
- For the trick-or-treating children: teach them to stay away from lit pumpkins, do not kick them or move them in anyway
- Use a flashlight when out getting your sweet treats!
According to the National Fire Protecting Association (nfpa.org)
- From 2014-2018, an average of 770 home structure fires began with decorations per year.
- More than two of every five (44%) of these fires occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source, such as a candle or hot equipment.
- More than one-third (36%) of these fires were started by candles.
- More than one-fifth (22%) of the decoration fires started in the kitchen; 16% began in the living room.
Source: NFPA Applied Research
For more tips on Halloween safety visit; https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Seasonal-fire-causes/Halloween
Kitchen stove caught fire
Kitchen fires in California are very common. The homeowner’s kitchen shown in this picture, suffered a fire damage which started from the stove. The cabinets surrounding the stove became covered in soot and smoke residue. Fortunately, the fire was taken out quickly with the help of the fire department.
Fire damage leaves behind strong odors, smoke residue and soot which can be challenging for the homeowner to clean on their own. By calling SERVPRO of Arcadia, the homeowner was at ease knowing the cleanup was being professional managed.
When you are faced with a fire disaster, remember SERVPRO of Arcadia is by your side. We have technicians that operate 24/7 to assist with emergency situations. Call SERVPRO of Arcadia in your time of need at (626) 447-4128.
We can make it “Like it never even happened."
Common Causes of Fire Damages
House fires caused by electricity are some of the most dangerous fires. Check out this blog for tips to prevent this.
With fire season quickly approaching, we here at SERVPRO of Arcadia wanted to share some information with our community. It is so important, especially here in California, to be prepared for a fire in your home. Most fires we encounter are accidental, but here are some tips to help reduce the damages these fires can cause.
Some accidental fires that occur are most commonly caused by:
- Cooking Equipment
- Smoking in bedrooms
- Electrical Equipment
- Curious Children
- Faulty Wiring
That is why we strongly recommend taking full precautions, in order to keep your loved ones and property safe at all times. Here are some helpful tips:
- Never leave the kitchen unattended when the stove is on. Keep close watch of pots and pans that can quickly overheat and can potentially ignite a fire.
- Make sure heating equipment wiring is in good condition and have it maintained yearly. Place electric heaters at least one meter away from any objects and furniture.
- Avoid smoking indoors. Not only is smoking a health hazard but it is one of the most common causes of fires.
- Make sure all electrical equipment is functioning properly and all cords are intact. Using GFCI outlets are recommended to prevent electrical fires.
- Never leave candles unattended, especially around small children. Always remember to turn candles off after every use.
- Children can be very curious, it is important to keep them safe by removing any flammable substances from their reach.
- Replace faulty or damaged wiring.
- Extinguish barbecue grill flames after every use.
You Can Never Be Too Safe
A fire can happen on your property at any time. We here at SERVPRO of Arcadia provide around the clock services 7 days a week. If you need us, we'll be there. What separates us from other restoration companies is that, when we receive the call from you we immediately assemble a work crew and send them your way. As a SERVPRO employee, our priorities are to ensure the job is done right the first time and consistently update our client on the progress of the job. The reason we do this, is because more often than not your home is the biggest investment you make. Therefore, we do everything in our power to ensure the customers happiness and leaving it, "Like it never even happened."
Always Be Prepared
Experiencing fire damage can be a very stressful situation. The leading cause of fires in a home or business most commonly occur when cooking or smoking. Fires can also caused by heating units and/or electrical issues.
After any fire damage, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the home?
- Electrical hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
Things you should do after a fire and smoke damage:
- Limit the movements in your home after a fire damage to prevent soot particles from spreading damage to upholstery and carpet.
- Place dry towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet in high traffic areas.
- If you turn off the electricity completely empty the refrigerator and prop doors open.
- To prevent soot from sticking to chrome on kitchen/bathroom faucets or fixtures protect them by applying a small amount of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out the HVAC system.
No one ever expects to experience a fire, but if it does occur you can count on SERVPRO of Arcadia. Our technicians are well trained to cleanup and restore your home and/or business. We are available 24-hours 7 days a week to help you get your life back together.
Key tips to guide you through the aftermath of a fire.
A fire in your home or business can be very devastating. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from fire/smoke damage and also a widespread water damage from firefighting efforts. Here are some tips what to do after the fire.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Arcadia to get the damage under control. WE are trained to clean and restore your home with as little disruption as possible.
Fire, Smoke, Soot, and Ash Cleanup
If you’ve ever experienced a home fire, then you know how devastating it can be. A house fire can cause a substantial amount of damage and is something no one should ever have to experience. Not only are they harmful to your home, the aftermath of a fire can also be a harmful to your health. However, if a fire were to occur, SERVPRO of Arcadia specializes in fire cleanup and restoration.
After a fire has occurred, smoke, ash, soot, and a smoky odor are most likely what’s going to be left behind. We advise you to just sit back and let the professionals handle the situation. Taking matters into your own hands may only make the situation worse and even cause extended health issues. Our crew members here at SERVPRO of Arcadia are highly trained and know exactly how to treat fire damage after it has occurred.
SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to help and answer any questions. Call (626) 447-4128, for any concerns you may have about a home fire.
New Years Awesome SAFETY Tips
SERVPRO WILL ALWAYS BE HERE FOR YOU IN EVERY NEW YEAR!
New Year's Eve celebrations
The new year comes up quickly. Lets get ready for the new year by educating ourselves on some safety tips. Many of the things we enjoy during this festive period, such as fireworks, Christmas lights, candles, paper hats and decorations. Did you know these things can all be fire hazards ?
Here are some tips to keep you safe this New Year
If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Contact your local Fire Department for more information as well. They are just handsome fellas to look at!
Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Never leave candles burning unattended.
Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on. Take special care with fairy lights and outdoor lights. Always switch off and unplug lights before you go to bed.
Check your lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power)
Never leave cooking unattended.
Check the battery in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors every week. Use the New Year as a reminder to clean it and remove dust, and maintenance them.
SERVPRO of Arcadia understands that New Year's celebrations are a time to have fun with family and friends! Read and follow the tips to help have a SAFE holiday!
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
We got some great holiday tips!!!
We all love the holidays. The holidays are a joyous time when we celebrate many festivities with our loved ones. Unfortunately, it is also a time when many accidental fires occur. We at SERVPRO want to help ensure our customers have a happy and safe holiday season. Here are some helpful tips to help keep you and your home safe:
• When selecting a Christmas tree make sure pine needles are green and vibrant.
• Water Christmas tree daily, the average tree requires about a gallon of water. This will help avoid drying out.
• If tree does dry out, do not plug in the tree lights.
• Do not leave tree lights on overnight.
• Keep Christmas tree away from heated surfaces such as fire places and heaters.
• Never leave lit candles unattended, especially around small children and/or pets.
• Always extinguish fire place after every use.
• Do not place any objects near heaters.
• When using the oven or stove, do not leave it unattended.
On behalf of our family at SERVPRO we would like to wish you and your family a Happy Holiday every year!