Recent Storm Damage Posts
Guide to Prepare for Hurricane Hilary - Southern California
Preparing for a Category 5 Hurricane: A Comprehensive Guide
When a Category 5 hurricane is on the horizon, time is of the essence. These powerful storms bring with them catastrophic winds, torrential rain, and life-threatening storm surges. Preparation is critical not only to protect your property but, more importantly, to ensure the safety of your family and yourself. Here's a concise guide to help you prepare:
1. Stay Informed:
- Monitor local news and weather channels. Trusted sources such as the National Hurricane Center (NHC) will provide regular updates and advisories.
- Download weather apps. These can give real-time notifications and tracking.
2. Evacuate if Advised:
- Listen to local authorities. If they recommend or mandate evacuation, do so promptly.
- Plan your route. Know multiple routes in case one is blocked.
- Inform someone. Let a family member or friend outside the danger zone know where you're headed.
3. Create an Emergency Kit: Stock up on essentials including:
- Water and non-perishable food for at least three days (one gallon of water per person per day).
- Medications and a first aid kit.
- Flashlights, extra batteries, and a battery-operated radio.
- Important documents (insurance, medical records, bank account numbers) in a waterproof container.
- Cash (as ATMs might be down).
- Chargers for your devices, possibly solar or battery-powered.
4. Secure Your Home:
- Install storm shutters or board up windows using plywood.
- Clear your yard of any potential flying debris such as lawn furniture, tools, and toys.
- Secure doors.
- Consider installing a sump pump if flooding is a concern.
5. Plan for Pets:
- Have a pet emergency kit with food, water, and medications.
- Ensure your pet has a secure carrier or leash.
- Know pet-friendly shelters or hotels on your evacuation route.
6. Protect Your Vehicle:
- Fill up the gas tank. Gas stations could run out or lose power.
- Store it in a garage or secure area if possible.
- Avoid parking under trees or in low-lying areas prone to flooding.
- Establish a communication plan with family. Everyone should know who to contact and where to meet if separated.
- Use text or social media to let others know you're safe. Phone lines might be jammed.
8. Be Cautious After the Storm:
- Stay indoors until local authorities declare it's safe.
- Avoid floodwaters. They may be contaminated or electrically charged.
- Inspect your home for damage. Document any issues for insurance claims.
- Be wary of fallen power lines and report them to the utility company.
A Category 5 hurricane is an extreme weather event, but with thorough preparation, you can significantly increase your chances of weathering the storm safely. Remember, while possessions can be replaced, lives cannot. Safety first!
Even though we live in sunny California, we still get our fair share of rain in the winter time. Might not feel like much, but with the right amount of rain in even one day, floods can happen if you are not prepared.
Floods can come in through damaged roofs, causing roof leaks. Rain can also enter and flood your home if your windows have been improperly sealed or through door thresholds.
It is hard to really think about preparing for rain when we get so little of it but it is always better to be overly cautious then under prepared.
Here are a few tips SERVPRO would like to provide for you:
- Make sure all windows and sliding doors are shut before rainfall, if you are going out of town especially. Rain can happen at random in California and you want to be ready.
- Check your gutters and make sure they are cleared.
- Make sure all door thresholds are properly sealed.
In the case of a home emergency give SERVPRO of Arcadia a call and we will be there to help!
Tips on Storm Damage
"Keep your eye on the storm"
Did you know that floods are the most common natural disaster in the U.S.?
Heavy rainstorms can cause significant flooding, overflowing levees or dams, contributing to flash floods and mudslides. Although, California does not commonly experience heavy rain from time to time. This could potentially put property like your home or business at risk.
Tips to help avoid flooding for your home or business:
- Prepare your property by installing rain gutters and other drainage systems. (Clean out rain gutters frequently.)
- Understanding the flood risk in your area and fix any leaks IMMEDIATELY.
- Extra roof protection by investing and installing a rubber roof underlayment (waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water intrusion).
Tips for drivers during the rainy season
- Avoid cruise control (This feature works great in dry conditions, but when used in wet conditions, the chance of losing control of the vehicle can increase).
- When driving, slow down and leave room in front of you (slowing down suddenly during wet conditions is critical and can increase a car’s chance of hydroplaning).
If you do experience flood damage in your home or business SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to help leave it, "Like it never even happened."
Call us at (626)447-4128
Protecting Your Home From Storm Damage
Beware of Storms
Your home is one of the biggest investments you make in a lifetime and it should be properly maintained to keep its value. Keeping your home safe from the unexpected can be extremely difficult but it is possible! When One storm comes in or hurricanes hits it can be cause serious damage to the inside and outside of your home.
Some things that can cause distraction would be:
- Uprooting trees
- knocking over power lines
- severe flooding
Some things we can’t control, but you can start before a storm hit by:
- bringing inside your patio furniture
- bring cars in garage if possible
- tarp up your furniture
- board up windows
- Trim trees
- Keep gutters clear
Aside from keeping your home safe we hope you can keep yourself safe with lots of canned foods, clean water bottles, and warm clothing.
Top 5 Catastrophic Events
SERVPRO Strom Team
When disaster strikes SERVPRO strikes back! We come equipped with a large supply of equipment, tools, drying experts, etc. Never worry about getting your home back in tip top shape when you call us for help!
TOP 5 CATASTROPHIC EVENTS:
- Storm damage
- Tropical Storms
In the rare event of these type of disasters we work hard so our customers can feel at ease knowing we can do everything possible to help!
SERVPRO has something special that we call Storm Teams, those teams will drive hours away to other states to help provide homeowners all over when disaster strikes. Strom Team's first priority is to tackle the jobs head on! We don't waste anytime, restoration begins on day 1!
We are FASTER to any DISASTER!
Hurricane Ida hits Louisiana
Hurricane Ida in Louisiana
SERVPRO Storm Team is gearing up for yet another hurricane disaster cleanup!
Hurricane Ida is plummeting through Louisiana leaving behind catastrophic damages throughout the region. About 1 million people don’t have access to power, roads are destroyed and some homes have been completely wiped out. The struggle isn’t over yet, “According to the National Weather Service, ‘heavy rainfall and flooding impacts are expected to spread across the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys, the central and southern Appalachians, and Mid-Atlantic through Wednesday’” (Foxbusiness.com).
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the residents of Louisiana and for the safety of the SERVPRO Teams dispatched to assist with the cleanup. We hope that they remain strong during these difficult times.
For live updates on Hurricane Ida visit: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ida-updates-08-30-21/index.html
24-Hour Emergency STORM TEAM
Our STORM TEAM is currently on multiple job sites in regards to the recent Southern California Fires. We have highly trained technicians ready to be sent wherever they need to be. As a home owner, we advise you to be aware of the mud slides that can come with heavy rain, due to the aftermath of the fires. If you look at the videos on our website you can see how close the fire got to the homes. Through experience and knowledge about fire restoration we highly recommend you consult with an environmental consultant to test for soot and then call SERVPRO of Arcadia for the cleanup if need be. Keep in mind that we are a 24-hour emergency service company. Please give us a call at (626) 447-4128 to set up an appointment for your free estimate.
SERVPRO Storm Team
Our heart and prayers go out to those who were effected by the recent wildfires in Southern California. Such catastrophic events can leave many feeling hopeless and confused on what to do next. Be cautious of soot, smoke and ash damage that may have risen, as a part of the aftermath from the fires. If your home or business were near any of the fires, your property may have been afflicted. We here at SERVPRO Arcadia, are apart of a Storm Team that specializes in emergency restoration when events like this occur. Storm Teams are comprised of multiple SERVPRO franchises, all of which share the same goal of getting the home/business owner back to their home/business as quickly as possible. We can ensure that you receive the highest standard of customer service, to help make the transition of restoring your home as smooth as possible.
About Our STORM TEAM
Did you know SERVPRO of Arcadia travels across the United States to assist local franchises, in efforts to help victims who experience flooding during storms?
We've traveled to:
- New Mexico 2011- Pipe Freeze
- Kentucky 2014- Pipe Freeze
- New York 2012- Hurricane Sandy
- Washington DC 2012- Mid-Atlantic Freeze
- New Jersey 2011- Hurricane Irene
- Santa Barbara 2017- Thomas Fire
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialists
As leaders in the water mitigation industry, we have advanced training and expertise. In addition to a tremendous amount of hands-on experience. We use our training and experience to quickly dry your home and restore it back to it's pre-storm condition.
Independently Owned Company with National Storm Resources
We are an independently owned and operated business. SERVPRO of Arcadia is strategically located to respond quickly to any flood or water damage situation. When a major storm or flood event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.
Large Loss at Local Airport
This large loss was caused by an overnight storm. Over 12" of water affected nearly 7,000 sq ft. of office space, lobby and break-room areas.
We received the call early Friday morning and within an hour we had a crew on-site. They began the mitigation process by removing carpets, baseboards and cutting walls. Once that phase was complete our crew began the drying process by placing air movers and utilizing our desiccant. We used two generators to minimize any business interruption. After six days, the drying process was completed and ready for reconstruction.
At SERVPRO of Arcadia our technicians are all certified and ready to assist with any size damage. We specialize in effective drying procedures with our state of the art equipment. We are a 24-Hour emergency response service. We leave it, "Like it never even happened."
Communities During Storm
With the recent fires in Southern California, the key thing to remember is to not panic. In times like this, staying calm and addressing the problem correctly can go a long way. These wild fires made it from the San Fernando Valley all the way to the hills of Santa Barbara, where our Storm Team and SERVPRO of Arcadia have been dispatched. They are working diligently to begin the cleanup and restoration process for the properties that have been effected. Our customers have been looking out for each other, by staying in communication to coordinate their schedules and give each other updates on the latest fire status. During times like this, we see how well connected the community is. When our clients are at ease, it means making it “Like it never even happened,” that much easier. We appreciate the patience and great feedback we have received from our customers.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Contact SERVPRO of Arcadia (626) 447-4128