Water Damage Process
The aftermath of a water, fire, sewage or mold related loss can sometimes be confusing. We are here to help you understand the process and explain all the steps involved when dealing with damages to your property. Each property, customer and client is treated differently depending on the type and extent of damages.
Here is the typical process we follow when you call in to our office with a water damage:
- Intake - We gather all contact, insurance and property information from you such as; Owner’s info, Loss Address, Contact info and insurance claim number. We ask questions like; Cause of Loss, Affected Rooms, types of flooring, etc…
- Scheduling - We schedule an initial inspection appointment with you within the hour of your phone call. If it’s not an urgent matter, future appointments are accepted.
- Inspection/Arrival Date - upon arrival we will assess the damages starting from the cause of loss. We will take moisture readings, photos and measurements of all affected areas and document the scope of work to be performed. If the damages are urgent, such as standing water, collapsed ceiling etc.. , we will immediately extract water, clean up and set up drying equipment.
- Insurance Approval - We take all the information gathered during the initial visit and send it to your insurance for coverage confirmation and approval to proceed.
- Demolition (if necessary) - When demolition is required, we gain approval first and schedule a crew to perform the removal of affected and damaged material
- Dry Out - Upon completion of demolition, equipment is reset to dry out the framing materials of your property.
- Completion - Once all materials have reached a drying goal, we do a final clean up of the areas, pick up equipment and document the moisture readings. We gather that information again and provide everything to your insurance for final billing.
We are happy to take the headache of dealing with all of this away from you. Our office is highly trained in walking you through the process every step of the way. Any questions you may have, please feel free to contact our office at 626-447-4128.
SERVPRO of Arcadia offers a variety of services to our clients, Bio-Hazard cleanup is one of them. A sector of our Bio-Hazard department, includes trauma and crime scene clean up. Our main priority is always the safety and well being of our customers and employees. Trauma and crime scenes typically involve bloodborne pathogens, harmful chemicals and other dangers, which is why our teams take every precaution necessary when dealing with these losses.
After a trauma or crime scene has been properly handled or evaluated by the authorities, the cleanup efforts may begin.
We will always treat you and your property with the greatest of empathy during such an overwhelming experience.
Some of our Trauma & Crime Scene cleanup services we offer are:
- Bloodborne pathogen cleanup
- Fire extinguisher residue
- Marijuana grow house cleanup
Give us a call for more information on how we can help cleanup your property! We are available 24/7 at 626-447-4128.
SERVPRO and Matterport!
SERVPRO of Arcadia now uses Matterport! Matterport is a 360 camera and software that allows us to capture detailed photos of your property. We piece those photos together to create a “virtual tour” of the property. The virtual tour then becomes available for us to share with you and your insurance company to review loss details, conditions and take proper measurements.
Due to COVID, many of us prefer virtual tours and Matterport has allowed us to provide that to our customers and insurance adjusters. We simply share the link and you will be able to click through the property and feel as if you were there in person!
Our Production Manager takes a preliminary Matterport scan of the property prior to any demolition or work performed. After completion of work, he visits the property again for a final scan. We use the two scans for reconstruction estimates and proper billing.
Matterport has become a vital part of our business because it gives our customers the complete feel of their project from start to finish.
Water Damage Turned into Mold
Extensive mold discovered
Ever wonder what would happen if you left a water damage unaddressed? Well, this would be your worst case scenario. When water damage is not properly mitigated or ignored for several months (even years), mold is almost guaranteed to grow and multiply into what you see here.
It is best to be sure to monitor your plumbing systems to catch any sign of water damage early on. Proper maintenance of pipes, faucets, toilets, sinks, etc.. is very important in preventing mold from growing.
When dealing with mold in your home it is very important NOT TO:
- Touch or disturb the mold.
- Blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Thankfully, our technicians are certified in Applied Microbial Remediation by the IICRC. They have extensive experience in mold remediation and could handle any size remediation. It is recommended that you always let a professional assist with Mold Remediation.
Feel free to contact SERVPRO of Arcadia at 626-447-4128 for more information on how to help you with your mold remediation.
Hurricane Ida hits Louisiana
Hurricane Ida in Louisiana
SERVPRO Storm Team is gearing up for yet another hurricane disaster cleanup!
Hurricane Ida is plummeting through Louisiana leaving behind catastrophic damages throughout the region. About 1 million people don’t have access to power, roads are destroyed and some homes have been completely wiped out. The struggle isn’t over yet, “According to the National Weather Service, ‘heavy rainfall and flooding impacts are expected to spread across the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys, the central and southern Appalachians, and Mid-Atlantic through Wednesday’” (Foxbusiness.com).
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the residents of Louisiana and for the safety of the SERVPRO Teams dispatched to assist with the cleanup. We hope that they remain strong during these difficult times.
For live updates on Hurricane Ida visit: https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ida-updates-08-30-21/index.html
When choosing a company to service your property, you should always choose the best! Here's why SERVPRO should be at the top of your list:
1. We are a 24-Hour Emergency Response Team
SERVPRO of Arcadia professionals will help limit the damage and get your facility back in operation QUICKLY! We have a 1-4-8 Service Response Guideline :
- Within 1 hour from the notice of loss SERVPRO of Arcadia will contact you to arrange for service.
- Within 4 hours SERVPRO of Arcadia Professionals will be on-site to start mitigation services.
- Within 8 business hours SERVPRO of Arcadia would have a verbal briefing of the scope.
SERVPRO of Arcadia will keep you informed from start to finish.
3. Reduce Recovery Time
By arriving quickly and mitigating the damage to the structure and contents. We provide effective cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO of Arcadia will help you reopen the doors as soon as possible to get you back in business.
4. Lower Recovery Costs
We help you save money! Our quick response helps minimize secondary damage at your property which saves you thousands.
5. Emergency Response Profile
SERVPRO of Arcadia helps you plan for recovery before a disaster strikes! (See our other blog on "Getting Prepared" for more information)
6. Full Line of Services
- Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Humidification
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Catastrophic Storm Response
- Move Outs & Contents Restoration
- Contents Claim Inventory Service
- Ceilings, Walls and Hard Floors
- Bio-hazard and Crime Scene
7. A National Leader in Storm Response
We help when you need it the most!
SERVPRO is a national restoration company your clients and tenants know and trust!
Kitchen stove caught fire
Kitchen fires in California are very common. The homeowner’s kitchen shown in this picture, suffered a fire damage which started from the stove. The cabinets surrounding the stove became covered in soot and smoke residue. Fortunately, the fire was taken out quickly with the help of the fire department.
Fire damage leaves behind strong odors, smoke residue and soot which can be challenging for the homeowner to clean on their own. By calling SERVPRO of Arcadia, the homeowner was at ease knowing the cleanup was being professional managed.
When you are faced with a fire disaster, remember SERVPRO of Arcadia is by your side. We have technicians that operate 24/7 to assist with emergency situations. Call SERVPRO of Arcadia in your time of need at (626) 447-4128.
We can make it “Like it never even happened."
Let's conserve our water!
Drought in California
California is currently suffering one of the worst droughts and in order to conserve the water we have we must do our part. Our conservation efforts can make a huge impact on the quality of our environment. We may feel like we are such a small piece of a larger pie, but if each one of us contributed to making changes it would help “minimize water waste, rebuild our underground aquifers, prepare for the uncertainties of climate change, and minimize the harmful effects of drought” (water.ca.gov).
According to the California Department of Water Resources, here are a few ways we can contribute to water conservation:
Indoor Conservation Tips
- Fix leaks, including leaky toilets
- Install high-efficiency toilets, aerators on bathroom faucets, and water-efficient shower heads
- Take shorter (5 minute) showers
- Track your water bill and meter to curtail water use
- Turn off water when brushing teeth or shaving
- Use dishwashers and washing machines with full loads only
Outdoor Conservation Tips
- Plant drought-tolerant/resistant plants and trees
- Recycle indoor water to use on plants
- Refrain from watering your home landscape when it rains
- Replace your grass/turf with water-wise plants
- Use a broom to clean driveways, patios, and sidewalks instead of water from a hose
- Water your outdoor landscape earlier in the day when temperatures are cooler
Information provided by: https://water.ca.gov/water-basics/conservation-tips
During a water mitigation call, crews discovered the hoarder condition as shown above
According to The Mayo Clinic, “Hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them. A person with hoarding disorder experiences distress at the thought of getting rid of the items. Excessive accumulation of items, regardless of actual value, occurs.” Many people with hoarding disorder do not find their habits to be a problem. Hoarded items are often things others would throw away or look at as junk or garbage such as old newspapers, junk mail, or packaging.
Hoarding can lead to homes filled with extreme clutter to full capacity from years of accumulation, making living conditions unsanitary and crowded. Bugs, fleas, rats, and other vermin may be present, at which point an exterminator would need to be called. At times, hoarding may spread to outside the home as well, to storage facilities, or even the garage or yard.
SERVPRO of Arcadia encounters hoarding situations several different ways. Often, we are called for a fire or water loss and find the hoarding situation when we arrive on-site. We will communicate with the insurance company regarding their contents coverage, and after approval, contents can be disposed of, packed out and possibly cleaned, dried, and stored by the SERVPRO of Arcadia or relocated to a storage facility so work on the fire or water loss can begin.
Another way we encounter hoarding jobs is through calls from landlords, case workers, real estate agents, or family members, often after the death of a loved one. In these situations, the crew will see if they should look for any items of importance while they clear the property out of all possessions. Sometimes family members will come and try to help the hoarder sort through their contents as well.
Each case is very different, and hoarding jobs are often sensitive situations, but SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to help make it “Like it never even happened.” If you encounter a hoarding situation at one of your properties or with your insureds, call SERVPRO of Arcadia today.
Common Causes of Fire Damages
House fires caused by electricity are some of the most dangerous fires. Check out this blog for tips to prevent this.
With fire season quickly approaching, we here at SERVPRO of Arcadia wanted to share some information with our community. It is so important, especially here in California, to be prepared for a fire in your home. Most fires we encounter are accidental, but here are some tips to help reduce the damages these fires can cause.
Some accidental fires that occur are most commonly caused by:
- Cooking Equipment
- Smoking in bedrooms
- Electrical Equipment
- Curious Children
- Faulty Wiring
That is why we strongly recommend taking full precautions, in order to keep your loved ones and property safe at all times. Here are some helpful tips:
- Never leave the kitchen unattended when the stove is on. Keep close watch of pots and pans that can quickly overheat and can potentially ignite a fire.
- Make sure heating equipment wiring is in good condition and have it maintained yearly. Place electric heaters at least one meter away from any objects and furniture.
- Avoid smoking indoors. Not only is smoking a health hazard but it is one of the most common causes of fires.
- Make sure all electrical equipment is functioning properly and all cords are intact. Using GFCI outlets are recommended to prevent electrical fires.
- Never leave candles unattended, especially around small children. Always remember to turn candles off after every use.
- Children can be very curious, it is important to keep them safe by removing any flammable substances from their reach.
- Replace faulty or damaged wiring.
- Extinguish barbecue grill flames after every use.