Most Common House Fire Causes
Most Common Home Fires
Tragic fires have no bounds, they spread quickly and give no mind to your personal items and documents. As a top restoration company SERVPRO of Arcadia will be there to help restore your home and structure as if it never even happened. In extreme cases, we even do our best to restore some of your most important documents back to normal! In any case, no one enjoys their home catching fire so let's go over the most common causes so you can avoid any tragedies.
Here are the Top 5 Causes of Fires:
- Cigarettes - The reason this is at the top of the list is because it can be tragic for the person smoking. Most times it is because a person fell asleep with one in their hand. Sometimes a smoker may throw a lit cigarette into dry plants.
- Cooking - Accidents happen all the time in the kitchen, a towel may catch fire, you may over cook your food, water and oil may mix and cause large fires, and even cooking in the oven and forgetting the oven on.
- Candles - Dropping one near flammable items or lighting one near towels and plants.
- Space Heaters - Leaving these unattended can be detrimental depending on the flooring in your home.
- Electrical Fires - Get your wiring checked once a year to check for shorts and faults. Sometimes these fires can cause huge damages and the start quickly because they are almost hidden.
How does SERVPRO handle my items
When a water damage occurs it not only can destroy the structure of your home but your precious belongings may be affected also.
Our skilled team here at SERVPRO of Arcadia take the time to restore your belongings as best as possible.
Here are a few ways in which we do this:
Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
For more in depth information on how we clean your items please check out https://www.SERVPRO.com/resources/water-damage/your-belongings-and-water-damage
Why Choose SERVPRO?
Here to help ANYTIME!
Everyday someone's home suffers some sort of unforeseen damages. Whether the damages come from a chicken fire in the oven, flooding in the restroom or laundry room, even mold damages, SERVPRO of Arcadia is always available to help!
We understand that when damages occur it can become very overwhelming and stressful. Here at SERVPRO we are here to help at all times, day and night. Our SERVPRO technicians take pride in being at any job location within the first hour of receiving the distress call. This first hour could be crucial to help mitigate damages from continuing and worsening. The sooner we are out the property the better the chances are of us salvaging your contents and structure.
We are open 24/7 for emergency services!
SERVPRO of Arcadia (626)447-4128
Even though we live in sunny California, we still get our fair share of rain in the winter time. Might not feel like much, but with the right amount of rain in even one day, floods can happen if you are not prepared.
Floods can come in through damaged roofs, causing roof leaks. Rain can also enter and flood your home if your windows have been improperly sealed or through door thresholds.
It is hard to really think about preparing for rain when we get so little of it but it is always better to be overly cautious then under prepared.
Here are a few tips SERVPRO would like to provide for you:
- Make sure all windows and sliding doors are shut before rainfall, if you are going out of town especially. Rain can happen at random in California and you want to be ready.
- Check your gutters and make sure they are cleared.
- Make sure all door thresholds are properly sealed.
In the case of a home emergency give SERVPRO of Arcadia a call and we will be there to help!
Keep your home safe during the holidays!
With Christmas only days away SERVPRO of Arcadia would like to share some tips to keep your home safe from any possible fire damages.
Your Christmas tree is the biggest factor to be aware of during this season, more so if you plan to have your tree up longer than a month.
- Make sure to always keep your Christmas tree watered and spray the leaves as well; tree fires most commonly occur when the tree is too dry.
- Keep your tree places away from all flames such as fireplaces, stoves, and space heaters.
- Be sure to keep candles away from your tree at all times.
- Try not to use more than 3 stands of holiday lights in order not to over load the outlets.
As always, SERVPRO of Arcadia is open 24/7 even on Christmas to help in the unfortunate event of fires, water damages and more. Call (626)447-4128 for any questions or assistance.
Tips on Storm Damage
"Keep your eye on the storm"
Did you know that floods are the most common natural disaster in the U.S.?
Heavy rainstorms can cause significant flooding, overflowing levees or dams, contributing to flash floods and mudslides. Although, California does not commonly experience heavy rain from time to time. This could potentially put property like your home or business at risk.
Tips to help avoid flooding for your home or business:
- Prepare your property by installing rain gutters and other drainage systems. (Clean out rain gutters frequently.)
- Understanding the flood risk in your area and fix any leaks IMMEDIATELY.
- Extra roof protection by investing and installing a rubber roof underlayment (waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water intrusion).
Tips for drivers during the rainy season
- Avoid cruise control (This feature works great in dry conditions, but when used in wet conditions, the chance of losing control of the vehicle can increase).
- When driving, slow down and leave room in front of you (slowing down suddenly during wet conditions is critical and can increase a car’s chance of hydroplaning).
If you do experience flood damage in your home or business SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to help leave it, "Like it never even happened."
Call us at (626)447-4128
Facing a Fire
When facing a fire in your home it can be stressful or even scary to say the least. In fact, it is very important to get started on the clean up so that your home can still be put right back together!
When we say begin the clean up we don't mean go out and get a mop and cleaning supplies! This type of clean up calls for professionals who specialize in fire restorations.
Our SERVPRO teams are highly trained in fire restoration and will take care of everything necessary. Please, do not take matters into your own hands and try to start the clean up on your own. You can actually cause more damage by cleaning on your own. Not to worry, SERVPRO will make it as if It never even happened!
What Causes Water Damage?
There are many different ways a water damage can occur in your home, from a broken pipe to a/c systems. We do ours best to maintain our home items but sometimes the inevitable happens.
Here are the top 5 causes of water damage:
- Leaking or Busted Pipes
- Plumbing Issues
- Faulty Household Appliances
- HVAC Units
- Clogged Gutters
Some less likely, but still possible causes of a water damage can be
- Toilet Overflow
- Sewage Back-Ups
- Laundry Washer Overflow
While for the most part it sounds easy to be able to maintain these house hold items, sometimes we can not help it when accidents happen. So in the event something like this happens to you, SERVPRO will always be there to help, anytime, anyplace, 24/7.
Condo Complex Gone Wrong!
Kitchen Water Damage
When condos are not properly maintained sewage back ups and pipe leaks are bound to happen. One of our property management clients experienced severe water damage to several units in the condo complex they manage. It all started when the top unit's sink drain line clogged, causing water to travel in to multiple units below.
The unit which caused the loss had significant damage to hardwood flooring, walls, cabinets, vanities, and bedroom carpets. Due to the fact that condos are constructed directly above each other, this caused damage to the units below in their ceilings down to their walls and into their floors as well. Some Unit owners had contents that were damaged in which had to be inventoried for total loss and salvaged items packed up.
Protecting Your Home From Storm Damage
Beware of Storms
Your home is one of the biggest investments you make in a lifetime and it should be properly maintained to keep its value. Keeping your home safe from the unexpected can be extremely difficult but it is possible! When One storm comes in or hurricanes hits it can be cause serious damage to the inside and outside of your home.
Some things that can cause distraction would be:
- Uprooting trees
- knocking over power lines
- severe flooding
Some things we can’t control, but you can start before a storm hit by:
- bringing inside your patio furniture
- bring cars in garage if possible
- tarp up your furniture
- board up windows
- Trim trees
- Keep gutters clear
Aside from keeping your home safe we hope you can keep yourself safe with lots of canned foods, clean water bottles, and warm clothing.